Put your youth tutoring and mentoring skills to use at The Seattle Public Library! The Library is seeking Homework Help volunteers to assist mainly ESL students in grades one through 12 with homework assignments and academic skills throughout the 2011-2012 school year.
Volunteers will help students with homework assignments in English, literature, math, history, science and other school subjects. Applicants must have completed at least one year of college and have experience assisting youth as a tutor, teacher or parent. Volunteers must be comfortable tutoring students in small groups and one-on-one.
The volunteer application deadline is Monday, Aug. 15. For more information, contact Anne Vedella, volunteer services coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, Aug. 10. A volunteer application can be downloaded from www.spl.org by clicking on “Support Your Library” and then “Volunteer Opportunities.”
Homework Help will be offered Monday, Sept. 26, 2011 through Thursday, June 14, 2012. Volunteers will be scheduled for weekly two-hour shifts. Those who cannot make weekly commitments can be scheduled as substitutes.
Homework Help will be offered at the Library locations listed below.
- Beacon Hill Branch, 2821 Beacon Ave. S.
- Broadview Branch, 12755 Greenwood Ave. N.
- Columbia Branch, 4721 Rainier Ave. S.
- Delridge Branch, 5423 Delridge Way S.W.
- Douglass-Truth Branch, 2300 E. Yesler Way
- High Point Branch, 3411 S.W. Raymond St.
- Lake City Branch, 12501 28th Ave. N.E.
- NewHolly Branch, 7058 32nd Ave. S.
- Northgate Branch, 10548 5th Ave. N.E.
- Rainier Beach Branch, 9125 Rainier Ave. S.
- South Park Branch, 8604 8th Ave. S.