The Seattle Public Library is seeking Homework Help volunteers to assist students in kindergarten through 12th grade with homework assignments and developing literacy and mathematics skills. Volunteers provide help with all subjects up to the 7th grade level and also may specialize in one or two subjects up to the college-prep level.
Volunteers must be comfortable interacting with K-12 students of all ages in small groups and individually on a drop-in basis. The majority of the students who request assistance speak a language other than English at home.
Homework Help will be offered at the Library locations listed below from Sept. 9, 2013 through June 17, 2014. Volunteers will be scheduled for weekly two-hour shifts when the Seattle Public Schools are in session. Those who cannot make weekly commitments can be scheduled as substitutes at least twice a month for a minimum of four months.
- Beacon Hill Branch, 2821 Beacon Ave. S.
- Broadview Branch, 12755 Greenwood Ave. N.
- Columbia Branch, 4721 Rainier Ave. S.
- Delridge Branch, 5423 Delridge Way S.W.
- Douglass-Truth Branch, 2300 E. Yesler Way
- High Point Branch, 3411 S.W. Raymond St.
- Lake City Branch, 12501 28th Ave. N.E.
- NewHolly Branch, 7058 32nd Ave. S.
- Northgate Branch, 10548 5th Ave. N.E.
- Rainier Beach Branch, 9125 Rainier Ave. S.
- South Park Branch, 8604 8th Ave. S.
Homework Helpers have opportunities to make a difference in the lives of students and derive satisfaction from supporting a culture of higher learning. They help to encourage and inspire students to become lifelong learners.
A volunteer application can be downloaded from www.spl.org by clicking on “Support Your Library” and then selecting “Volunteer Opportunities.” Applicants must have completed at least one year of college or vocational school and have strong English literacy and/or mathematics skills.
Individuals who submit their application by July 15 will receive priority consideration for volunteer openings. For more information, contact Anne Vedella, volunteer services coordinator, at email@example.com or 206-386-4664.
(For more information, call Andra Addison, communications director, 206-386-4103.)